NSERC – Policies and Requirements housing benefit tenants

The value of your fellowship is determined based on the salary scale of a scientific researcher in the public service of canada. It may be adjusted each year on july 1. The present minimum value of a visiting fellowship is $53,077 per year. In exceptional cases, a higher stipend can be offered at the discretion of the host laboratory. A higher stipend must be justified by one (or more) of the following factors:

The first payment of the fellowship will be issued upon receipt of the confirmation of commencement date ( form E-3) and the invention agreement ( form E-4). You must provide NSERC with your canadian social insurance number (SIN) on the confirmation of commencement date ( form E-3) to receive the first instalment. If the payment activation – part II ( form E-1

) was received at least two weeks before your arrival to the laboratory, your payment will be deposited in your bank account for the first payment of your award within the next three to five weeks from the start date at the laboratory.Housing benefit tenants if the payment activation – part II (

Form E-1) was not submitted in time, your payment may be delayed. The first payment covers the period from the start date of the award to the end of the month in which the award was taken up. Subsequent payments

To set up direct deposit, complete the direct deposit form and submit it to NSERC by fax, by mail or by email. This method of payment guarantees that the funds will be deposited to your bank account by the 15th of every month. For more information, see direct deposit – frequently asked questions. Note that NSERC does not provide a detailed pay stub. Additional allowances

This program does not provide any additional allowances for research costs, tuition fees or publication costs. Decisions on these matters rest with the host federal department or agency. Travel allowances

housing benefit tenants

Incoming – you are entitled to reimbursement of the cost of travel from your place of residence at the time the offer was made to the host laboratory. The travel allowance will normally be reimbursed to you with a three-month delay. You are encouraged to take advantage of reduced air fares when available. The maximum amount payable is the cost of a one-way economy class air fare via the most direct route. You may purchase a round-trip ticket to take advantage of reduced air fares. However, for full reimbursement, the date of the return ticket should not be more than one month after the arrival date, and the return portion of the ticket must not be used and must be returned to NSERC with your travel claim. For electronic tickets, the invoice and boarding pass must be submitted. If you want to keep the return ticket, or the date of the return ticket is more than a month after the arrival date, you may claim only half of the price of the round-trip ticket.Housing benefit tenants when you travel under a reduced fare plan, the allowance is based on the actual cost of the fare. You are expected to make your own travel arrangements and to pay the full cost yourself. NSERC will reimburse the cost of travel cancellation insurance if this is accompanied by the purchase of a more restrictive ticket of much lower price. Economy rail, bus fare or taxis from your home to the airport can also be claimed. There is no allowance for excess baggage or the storage and moving of personal belongings (including the rental of a moving truck such as uhaul). If you intend to use frequent flyer points, such as AIR MILES®, please note that only the portion of your ticket purchased by cash will be refundable. Hotel accommodation, meals and other incidentals are not included for air travel. You may travel by any means, but reimbursement will not exceed the cost of one-way economy class air fare and associated connecting ground transportation.Housing benefit tenants

For travel arrangements that are different from the above, NSERC will refer to canadian governmental guidelines and regulations; PART III to determine a reasonable reimbursement for travel claims on a case-by-case basis. If you wish to claim refunds in these cases, you should provide a clear explanation of how you made the trip from your home to the host laboratory, the reason for choosing the alternate arrangement, an itemized list of actual costs of the trip, and an estimate of the cost of the direct flight if available (including associated ground transportation). Corroborative documentation from airline web sites or other reputable sources should be provided wherever possible.

Upon arrival at the host laboratory, reimbursement must be requested by filling out and submitting to NSERC a travel claim ( form E-5), and by providing original receipts for air tickets and the cancelled portions of air tickets.Housing benefit tenants please note that travel which occurred before the offer of the award will not be reimbursed.

NSERC recognizes that travel costs may, in some cases, constitute a major financial obstacle. Fellows residing outside continental north america and western europe may request prepayment of air travel costs. Travel arrangements will be made by NSERC. In some cases, NSERC may prepay the travel costs through a recognized travel agency, if a pro forma invoice is received at least 15 working days before the payment due date.

In order to authorize prepayment of air fare, NSERC must have received confirmation that all requirements for the phd have been completed. Reimbursement is also subject to approval by NSERC prior to making travel arrangements.

If you are accompanied by your spouse and/or dependent children for a period of at least six months, you may request reimbursement of travel costs for your family.Housing benefit tenants the maximum amount payable for each dependent is the cost of a one-way economy class air fare and associated connecting ground transportation. You and your spouse and/or children are expected to travel together. If this is not possible, a request for separate travel allowances will be considered. If your spouse and/or dependant child(ren) do not stay in canada for at least six months, a refund for their travel reimbursement will be required. If you marry between the time the award is made and the date when tenure of the award begins, you are eligible for the additional allowance.

Return travel – you must complete at least one year of your fellowship to be entitled to reimbursement of your return travel costs. All rules apply as per incoming travel above. The maximum amount payable is the cost of a one-way economy air fare and associated connecting ground transportation from the location of the laboratory where the award was held to your place of residence at the time the fellowship was awarded.Housing benefit tenants if you marry during the tenure of your fellowship, you may be eligible to receive a return travel allowance for your spouse, provided that your marriage occurred at least 30 days before termination of the award. A return travel claim ( form E-8) should be used to apply for a refund of return travel costs.

If you terminate your fellowship less than a year after starting, for any reason other than illness (which must be certified by a physician), you are not eligible for a return travel allowance. Moreover, you are required to refund one-twelfth of the incoming travel allowance for each month of tenure not completed.

If you are interrupting your fellowship within six months following the birth or adoption of a child in order to be the primary caregiver for the child, you may request a paid parental leave at your current stipend level for up to four months.Housing benefit tenants

No formal provision is made for annual holidays. You may take a maximum of three weeks of holidays for each period of 12 months of tenure. Arrangements must be made with your supervisor for all holidays taken. You do not receive credit for holidays not taken by the expiry date or termination date of your fellowship.

NSERC requires that all fellows be covered by health insurance. Fellows who are not covered by provincial health plans within canada are required to secure their own medical insurance and provide proof of the same to NSERC and the host department or agency (confirmation of commencement date

Canada has a national medical insurance system that covers the costs of medical care, including hospitalization, for all canadians. The eligibility of foreigners and their families for provincial medical insurance varies from one province to another.Housing benefit tenants if you and/or your family members are not eligible for provincial health insurance either temporarily or permanently, you are required to subscribe to a private insurance plan.

Provincial health insurance is valid in the province of residence and, under certain conditions, elsewhere in canada. You should consult the provincial health insurance office before travelling outside the province. It is generally advisable to subscribe to additional private insurance if travelling outside canada, as provincial insurance schemes may not refund the full cost of health care in other countries, including the united states.