Upgrade Motorhome Battery Capacity with a Simple Retrofit _ MotorHome Magazine low income housing benefit threshold

Ever wish you could add more battery capacity to your class C motor­home, just like you might find in the big class A coaches? Here’s an alternative that just might fit the bill without breaking the bank.

Last year I bought a used 2007 jayco 31SS class C motorhome equipped with an RV/marine deep-cycle 12-volt battery. The coach is well built and thoughtfully designed, but I need additional battery capacity to run my continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine while I sleep. The challenge was to install enough battery capacity to run the coach’s heater and my CPAP machine all night without the need to run the onboard generator. RV world installed a larger door and battery tray. Notice the newly installed battery door is more than twice the size of the old door (shown below).

My jayco came equipped with a single pullout tray with room for only one battery; I had to find a way to add more batteries.Low income housing benefit threshold I searched online and found some rvers who solved the problem by placing additional batteries in other motor­home storage compartments. That solution came with three additional challenges: I would have to give up storage capacity in my coach, I would have to run long cables to other compartments, and if I used wet-cell batteries I would also have to consider how to vent the batteries for safety. I chose to upgrade the battery capacity in the space already provided. The author attached the battery frame to the motorhome body frame using 14-gauge square stock.

I went to a local RV repair shop, RV world in fort collins, colo., and discussed the problem with one of the owners, tyler gesick. He recommended replacing the existing battery tray and door with a larger one. An RV world service technician first removed the existing door and tray for the house batteries and then installed a door wide enough to accommodate a pullout tray with sufficient capacity to hold four house batteries.Low income housing benefit threshold the cost for the door was $50.

I ordered a kwikee locking pullout tray from power gear/kwikee products for $140. These trays are built-to-order and the lead time was four weeks. It turned out I needed that much time to design and build the support structure for the tray. The support brackets would have to accommodate four batteries and the tray, all of which weighed 240 pounds at full load. To support the outside end, I welded together 2-inch, 14-gauge square stock with angle tabs to attach to the frame extension that supports the motor­home floor. Two angle brackets were welded to the battery tray frame to provide an attachment to the body support that extends from the motorhome chassis.

I added a 2-inch angle iron bracket to the front and bolted two 2-inch angle iron brackets between the frame and the structure I built to hang from the floor frame.Low income housing benefit threshold the metal for the frame and supports cost me $120 and the fastening hardware came to $50. The completed frame with tray support rails is ready for the tray installation.

It was necessary to shim under the angle iron coming from the coach’s frame as I had been a little off on my measurements, and I wanted a level pullout tray. The tray was then bolted to the 2-inch angle iron.

For batteries, I chose a pair of trojan T105 ($335) 6-volt golf cart batteries. With two batteries I have 220 amp hours of power. The tray is large enough to install another set of batteries, so if I find I need additional capacity in the future I can add two more batteries and double my capacity.

I did encounter a few problems on this project. After trying to attach a wire to the incorrect terminal of the batteries, I blew my 400-watt inverter.Low income housing benefit threshold I searched for a direct replacement but found the model was no longer made. I contacted jayco and was told the company is now installing the xantrex PRO inverter XM 1000 (1,000-watt inverter) so I ordered one online. I then found that the only plug powered by the inverter was the one by the TV. Because I needed a plug next to the bed that would be powered from the inverter to run my CPAP, I installed another outlet and split the AC line coming out of the inverter.